5 Ways to Elevate Your Mood
Guest post by Roopa Shankar
We all have those lazy days, when we wake up after a lousy dream (or a lousy sleep) and the drama in our lives seems to be highlighted by the gray skies outside or the messiness of our rooms. Whether it is relationship, academic, personal, or emotional stress that is hindering you from being the self-confident, productive, and energetic person you are, here are 5 tips to quickly elevate your mood so you can feel fresh, bubbly, and vivacious each morning—ready to live meaningfully and actively!
1) Morning Burst | Refresh Your Skin
When your skin feels clean and refreshed, so do you! As soon as you feel the not-so-great mood coming on, take a trip to the bathroom and spritz your face with cold water.
For an extra burst of vitality, try Clean & Clear’s Morning Burst Scrub. The citrus scent will leave you feeling fruity and fresh, and the micro-beads will leave both your skin and you feeling revitalized and jubilant!
Also try Clean & Clear’s Deep Action Exfoliating Scrub. The minty, cool sensation will wake you up and will prepare you for a day of productivity and fun!
2) Music Enthusiast | Jumpstart Your Day
Start your day with your favorite, up-beat tune. It’s a triple-win for you: unleash your inner dancer, release endorphins (natural mood enhancers), and get some of your daily exercise by burning off some calories! Hit “play” on these tunes:
1) For the “Relaxer” | Miss You – The Rolling Stones. This song has a cool, comforting vibe to it while still being upbeat and fun.
2) For the “Little Kid” | Send Me On My Way – Rusted Root. A fun, tropical-inspired song like this one will get you moving and singing along to the lyrics!
3) For the “Crazy” | Party Rock Anthem – LMFAO. Show your mirror what you’ve got when you hear “Shake That!”
4) For the “Romantic” | Get On The Floor – Jennifer Lopez ft. Pitbull. You don’t need a man to get your groove on! Get on your bedroom floor and burn those calories!
5) For the “Creative” | Song of Your Choice. Choose something fast and catchy to get you moving! Choose songs that have positive memories attached to them – maybe a song that played at your favorite party, or a song that you and your beau dorkily danced to.
3) A Fruitful Choice | Use Lemons
Fruits are not only tasty for the mouth, but are tasty for the mind! Aromatherapy studies assert that the vitamins and antioxidants in lemons can positively impact your mood.
1) A Lemony Atmosphere: Brew lemon tea and breathe in its aroma for an organic and natural mood enhancer and relaxer
2) A Quick Whiff: Take a slice of lemon and inhale its scent for a quick, stimulating boost of energy
3) A Brightened Persona: Spread lemon oil over your face and body for a refresher, and then rinse with lukewarm water in the shower. When you brighten your skin, you brighten your mood!
4) Eat Right, Feel Right | Eat Certain Foods
When you eat healthily, you feel healthy. Studies show that one easy way to feel better is to eat certain foods that have powerful amino acids and vitamins. Snack on these six example foods to help boost your spirits!
1) Milk can improve memory and enhance your mood.
2) Berries contain natural sugars for a quick energy boost and antioxidants that are integral for proper brain functioning.
3) Folic acid in spinach can stabilize serotonin levels, which are crucial in mood development.
4) Turkey and chicken contain an abundant amount of the amino acid tyrosine, which is linked to increasing energy levels and helping the body cope with stress.
5) Dark chocolate (in moderation) can lower stress hormones and stimulate endorphins in your body, which are natural mood enhancers.
6) The vitamin C in oranges and grapefruits helps to combat nervousness, irritability, and depression while the citrus helps you feel more alert.
5) Clean Up The Clutter | Organize Your Personal Space
Speaking from personal experience, I know how a messy room can damage my health and mood by overwhelming me and making me feel as though I’m living in a 2×2 square foot room. Take 5 minutes to get rid of those piles of dirty clothes and stacks of papers on your desk by arranging the contents of your room! An atmosphere that is clean and relaxing will help you to relax as well.
With these five simple tricks to elevating your mood, you’ll be on your way to an energized and positive lifestyle. Remember: when you feel better, you do better.